At-Home Tips & Activities
IMMUNE SYSTEM SUPPORT
This is such a stressful time for so many. Let’s take a minute to work on part of our ‘Inner Armor’ - our immune system.
Our bodies are intricate vessels that require more maintenance and TLC than even a car. They are our vehicles for life. For your car to function effectively and for a long time, you put effort, time, and work into its conservation and care. You would not pour diet soda in the gas tank all the time and expect it to run efficiently. A silly metaphor, but this is often what we expect of our bodies.
Food is fuel.
Movement is medicine.
So what now?
Now we take small steps in our daily routine that will begin to enact change.
A simple decision to eat a vegetable. A simple choice to do an exercise or two. A simple resolution to drink more water today than yesterday. Every little bit counts toward or against your health, so let that inspire your daily decisions.
What can you do?
1. Healthy Diet
- Whole foods – limit processed foods
- Increase Vegetable Intake
- Lean proteins – Protein helps heal our bodies
- Limit sugar intake
- Proper portion sizes and healthy snacking
- Healthy fats
- 3o minutes most if not all days of the week, or a combination throughout the week. Just move! For more detailed fitness guidance contact a trusted licensed trainer.
- Double your weight in ounces to get your recommended daily amount.
- About 15.5 cups (3.7 liters) of fluids for men
- About 11.5 cups (2.7 liters) of fluids a day for women
4. Rest and Reduce Stress
- This is so important, and there are lots of ways to get rest. Try to set aside time each day to quiet yourself and intentionally de-stress. Even if only for a few minutes. Stretching, getting outside, reading, praying, journaling, talking to a friend, and even watching a fun tv show are all great ways to incorporate restoration and stress reduction techniques. Try to get 8 hours of good sleep a night. Set consistent times that you go to bed and get up during the week to get the most benefit from REM sleep. Be creative in discovering stress reduction techniques that work for you.
5. Incorporate Super Foods and Super Spices
Discover the power of food. There are incredible components in the food we eat and selecting power foods is a great way to gain those benefits.
Here are a few examples (particularly in consideration of immune support):
- Oranges and Citrus fruits
- Apples and other Antioxidant foods
6. Supplement with Supplements
A supplement is used to literally supplement your daily habits – to provide for what you are not getting in your daily intake. Here are a few suggestions:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin D (Not too much. Check your RDA and go outside for natural Vit D from the sun!)
- Zinc – natural healing mineral (take in moderation and on a full stomach)
- Apple Cider Vinegar
7. Anti-Inflammatory Regimen
Research has indicated that low inflammation in our bodies can create an environment where diseases and sickness cannot thrive.
Moderate exercise can also help decrease inflammation. Inflammation is a risk factor for many diseases.
8. Healthy PH Balance
You can test the PH balance of your water, foods, and even your saliva with PH strips. Research has indicated that a healthy PH balance creates an environment where disease cannot easily thrive.
- Check the PH of your water (you can change the PH with things like lemon)
Provided by Elite Personal Trainer Denise Schuster
* Everybody and Every Body is different, so there can always be exceptions to the rule on research findings. Be sure to make choices in consideration and knowledge of your body’s needs and limitations.
** Denise is not licensed to diagnose or treat any illness or disease and therefore nothing in this post is intended to diagnose or treat any illness or disease, but only as a resource for healthy living and overall wellness.